Wednesday, May 18, 2011

We could live forever tonight...

The Beach Boys

I've really delayed writing this one up because I get inexplicably tired every time I listen to the Beach Boys.  No matter how interesting the background music is, for some reason I find the vocals soporific.  The lyrics are bland and boring.  I wanted to do justice to what really is an influential album -- but I'm just not feeling it.

I really tried to listen actively.  It's nice that the entire album is a nice, cohesive package... it's something that is written to be a cohesive listening experience, not something that was necessarily written to crank out singles.  There are some neat baselines, and even though it doesn't always work, I admire Brian Wilson's quest to find new an unusual sound elements to complement the more traditional instruments and vocals.  But I told myself I wouldn't force myself to write huge posts if I just wasn't in to the album... so, there you have it.  I've read that diehard fans say this album is "an acquired taste", but honestly, after a couple listens, I don't hear anything here amazing enough to press me to keep listening to develop a more refined Beach Boys friendly palate.

Next up is Revolver, by The Beatles... another album I've got on my computer, so I should be quicker to post.  Now if you'll excuse me, I re-listened to Pet Sounds while writing, so it's time to take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment