Friday, May 6, 2011

Challenge Accepted.

Two or three days ago, I had a silly idea.

I've always been very interested in music -- I don't have more than a rudimentary command of any instrument, but having music in my life has always been a comfort.  It never ceases to amaze me that no matter how bad you're feeling, you can pull out that perfect album, slip on your headphones, and drown out the world for a bit till things feel less glum.  Music can be so many things!  It's an escape, a stimulus for creativity, a comfort when you're down, or a motivator when you need to get moving.  I've got a huge shelf full of several albums, and my hard drive is chock-full of even more tracks.

However, lately, I've felt like my listening has grown a little stagnant.  I love going to concerts and checking out new bands, but I haven't had the money to spend to do so very frequently.  So, in an attempt to expand my listening horizons... I've posed myself a challenge.

In 2003, Rolling Stone magazine compiled a list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.  Now, taking on all 500 is a bit more than I care to bite off and chew at the moment -- I may end up having to buy where I can't borrow and beg.  I've decided, instead, to start with the top 100 and see what happens from there.

But that's not all.  A month and a half ago, I stumbled upon a list compiled of 100 books that should be required reading.  And you know what?  I'm going to read all of those, too, damnit.


All silliness aside, I'm rather excited to begin.  Even though I've read many of these books and listened to several of the albums, I'm going to give them all another listen/read, and use this blog to jot down my thoughts.  I've decided I'm not going to write any formal review -- who the hell cares what some random chick on the internet thinks about such well-recognized works -- but I'm hoping this blog will keep me motivated to finish the challenge, and perhaps even reignite the spark of my interest in writing.

Conveniently, The Beatles hold 4 of the top 10 spots, and I've got all of their albums on my computer... so I will start right away with album number one, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.  As for books, I've read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice before, but don't have a copy handy, so that one will have to wait till I can run to the library.

If anyone wants to play along at home, I'd be interested in hearing your impressions as well.  Look for my first post soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment